historic house museums
historic industrial sites
new design in
The R. B. Wing Building
Client: Wing Building Holding Company (Offices of John G. Waite Associates, Architects)
Project Type: Adaptive Reuse
Formerly the home of a ship's chandlery, the R. B. Wing & Son Company Building was transformed in 1914 by architect Walter Hunter Van Guysling to be reminiscent of Albany's early Dutch buildings, complete with nautical influences to reflect its owner's connection with the river maritime industry.
The front facade of the R.B. Wing Building in the early twentieth century. The facade, with its iron sailing ship and dolphins, is a whimsical interpretation of early Dutch buildings.
John G. Waite Associates completely renovated the R. B. Wing Building, restoring the east façade and converting loft warehouse spaces to create offices on the upper floors. The finishes of the historic east façade were completely restored, using microscopic paint analysis to determine the original paint colors. The building was also upgraded with new mechanical, electrical, and fire protection systems.