Mount Vernon, VA
Client: The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
Project Type: Interior and Exterior Restoration; Historic Structure Reports; Environmental Monitoring
George Washington took possession of Mount Vernon in 1754 and transformed the house and plantation over the remaining 45 years of his life. One of the best-known historic homes in America, Mount Vernon receives more than one million visitors annually.
The east facade of Mount Vernon, facing the Potomac River, after restoration of the roof and cupola, using salvaged early growth cypress shingles and copper sheet metal.
John G. Waite Associates and its predecessor firm provided architectural services for several major projects at the estate, including a historic structure report of the Mansion, providing a comprehensive analysis of the building's structure and its interior and exterior finishes and making recommendations for preservation and restoration. A program for environmental monitoring was developed using a computerized system for data acquisition. Specific projects included: plaster restoration of the decorative plaster ceiling in the small dining room of the Mansion; structural reinforcement of the Mansion’s principal stair to accommodate visitors; roof and cupola restoration at the Mansion; and restoration of the plantation’s shingled wharf pavilion on the Potomac River.