historic house museums
historic industrial sites
new design in
Cambridge Freight Yard
Client: Cambridge Valley Community Development and Preservation Partnership, Inc.
Project Type: Existing Conditions Report
The Rutland and Washington Railroad, which reached Cambridge in 1851-1852, was constructed to transport slate and marble from northern Washington County and Vermont to the important railroad centers of Troy and Albany, NY. Despite years of deferred maintenance, the freight yard buildings retain a high degree of architectural integrity and historic building fabric.
Built by 1853, the Delaware & Hudson Railroad Freight Station is one of the earliest railroad structures in Cambridge. The structure was built to serve as a temporary storage facility, and had all of the components to accommodate railway shipping functions – a trackside platform at about the same level as the floor of railcars, ramps leading from grade level to the platform, an opening on the opposite facade for easy access by wagons; and a weather-tight, secure storage space.
John G. Waite Associates, Architects prepared an existing conditions report including a history of the site, historic and existing conditions, photographs, measured drawings, problems of repair, and recommended appropriate uses for the buildings