historic house museums
historic industrial sites
new design in
St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
Red Hook, NY
Client: St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Zion Church
Project Type: Exterior Restoration; Conditions Assessment; Construction Documents; Construction Administration
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church was built between 1889 and 1890 on the site of a former church building. Designed by L.B. Valk of New York City, this Gothic Revival church was constructed of brick with brownstone trim. The roof massing reveals the cruciform plan of the church, alongside several auxiliary spaces.
The front of St. Paul's Church showing the completed steeple slate roof, steeple crenellation and standing seam copper main roof.
In 1996, John G. Waite Associates, Architects performed a conditions assessment of the church building. After the report, the firm completed construction documents and began exterior restoration of the roof, bell tower and masonry. Later phases of construction included a new standing seam copper main roof and the slate steeple roof along with new steeple roof crenellation and ornamental wood railings that match the original steeple design, and a restored bell.