Client: State University Construction Fund
Project Type: Exterior masonry evaluation and restoration
The Delaware & Hudson Railroad and the Albany Evening Journal Buildings were built between 1914 to 1918 to the designs of noted Albany architect Marcus T. Reynolds. Their general form—long wings punctuated by towers and Flemish Gothic ornament – were inspired by the Cloth Hall at Ypres, Belgium.
John G. Waite Associates, Architects contracted with the building’s current owner, the State University of New York, to evaluate the building’s exterior masonry and prepare contract documents for its restoration. The firm prepared measured drawings based on original drawings, records of changes made in the 1970s, and measurements taken from the building. Other investigative work included archival research for information on the original material manufacturers, problems encountered during construction, and changes to the façade over time. Using the findings of the investigation, JGWA prepared construction documents for the exterior restoration of the building.